Check out these selections curated by NovaMuse contributors.
Kings County Academy (KCA) was originally built on Academy Hill in 1870. This first school consisted of four department buildings with both the high school and the common school being housed there. KCA was the third school to be built in Kentville. In 1883, the school was destroyed by a fire but was then rebuilt. Kings County Academy has always held a high academic standard; it at one point achieved "Scholastic Honors" for Nova Scotia having the leading students in Grades 10-12 after the results of all the provincial exams were returned.
In 1929 a new era was beginning for KCA with a new senior high school in the works which would open in 1930. In 1933 another fire destroyed the original school and later that same year the plans for a new junior high school were made which would open in 1934.
Eventually in 2011 a new, more modern facility for KCA was in the works, officially opening in 2012. Upon moving to this new facility the items in this collection, which represent the history and legacy of Kings County Academy, were donated to the Kings County Museum!
A selection of images and artifacts about oxen in Lunenburg County, N.S.
The Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame has created a free walking tour for you to explore all the historic sporting sites! Grab a booklet at the Hall of Fame museum (or visit our website) and we will guide you around Halifax to some of the most important sport heritage sites in the city.
Here is a look at some of the walk content:
The Halifax Public Gardens opened in the 1840s and became the home of Canada’s first covered skating rink in 1863, followed by the first public lawn tennis court in the country in 1876. The gardens’ pond was a training spot for Hall of Fame rowers John O’Neill and George Brown, and its grounds served as a meeting spot for croquet, cycling, snowshoeing and archery clubs.
The Wanderers Grounds were established in the 1880s and were once a part of the Halifax Commons. These grounds were home to the Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club for rugby, lawn bowling and more. The Wanderers Grounds were also home to the Navy Clubhouse, and many Halifax and District league baseball games. Babe Ruth visited in 1942 to put on a batting exposition for the Navy troops. In 1957 these grounds hosted Canada Soccer’s first ever Challenge Trophy match played east of Montreal. New seating was installed in 2017 for the Halifax Wanderers Football Club, which started to play in 2019 as Halifax’s first professional soccer club.
Ahern Avenue is located between Citadel High School and Citadel Hill and was named after John “Gee” Ahern. Ahern was the mayor of Halifax from 1946 to 1949 and was also a member of the Nova Scotia Legislature. Ahern felt strongly that there should be recognition for Nova Scotia athletes. He initiated the formation of the Hall of Fame in 1958 and was later inducted in 1982 for his contributions to hockey, baseball and rugby in Nova Scotia.
The Halifax Commons were originally used as a pasture for horses and livestock, as well as being used as a place for army regiments. The Commons stretch from Cunard Street to Citadel High School, with a break in the grounds made by Cogswell Street. The Commons have been a sports hub for decades, and you will often see games of softball, soccer, cricket, field hockey and more.
Centennial Pool was built in 1967 to help local athletes compete at a higher level. The pool played a vital role for the 1969 Canada Summer Games and made history as being one of the first Olympic sized pools in Atlantic Canada.
McNabs was an important site in the popularization of quoits (a game similar to horse shoes or ring toss). Records of quoits date to 1762 on McNabs Island. The sport was likely introduced by sailors as it was a popular game at sea.
The Dalplex opened in 1979 with its cutting edge “air structure” roof. It became the primary athletics and recreation facility for Dalhousie University, providing much more space than Studley Gym (which is still used today and can be found off South Street at LeMarchant Street). The Dalplex stands near the site of the old Studley Field, which held a large variety of sport events, including the meetings of the Studley Quoit Club. The club was founded in 1858, and welcomed a visit from His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales (later to become King Edward VIII) on August 18, 1919.
The Northwest Arm has been the setting for many a great rowing championship, as well as much paddling and boating activity for over a century. World Champion rower and Hall of Famer George Brown achieved many of his great victories on the Northwest Arm.
The George Dixon Recreational Centre was named after one of the greatest boxers Nova Scotia and Canada has ever produced. He has also recently been named Nova Scotia’s sixth greatest athlete of all time. Dixon was born in Africville, NS in 1870 and started his professional career when he was 16 years old. His talent flourished quickly and he soon became the first Black man to win a World Championship, and the first man to ever win more than two World boxing titles.
Buddy Daye Street was named after Hall of Famer Delmore William “Buddy” Daye. Buddy won the 1964 Canadian super featherweight boxing championship in the Halifax Forum in front of 5,000 people. He later became the first African Nova Scotian Sergeant-at-Arms for the Nova Scotia House of Assembly.
The Halifax Forum officially opened on December 26, 1927, on the ruins of the provincial exhibition building which was destroyed in the Halifax explosion. The complex was originally composed of an arena, industrial building, cattle shed, grandstand, horse racing track and horse barns. The arena at the Forum became the first artificial ice surface east of Montreal, and the industrial building housed the first Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame museum when it opened in 1964. From its first hockey game to major concerts, the Forum has welcomed many significant events.
The Mayflower Curling Club was founded in 1905 and is a very historical site in Halifax. In 1912 the Mayflower was used as a morgue when the Titanic sank and many bodies washed ashore in Halifax. Only five years later the club was completely destroyed by the Halifax Explosion. The Mayflower Curling Club was then rebuilt on Monaghan Drive in 1962. The sport of curling really started to evolve after the rebuilding. The Mayflower even became the home club for Nova Scotia’s greatest curler—Colleen Jones.
The Scotiabank Centre opened as the Halifax Metro Centre on February 17, 1978. It was renamed to Scotiabank Centre in 2014. The biggest audience to fill the arena’s stands was a crowd of 11,000 basketball fans who came out to watch Saint Mary’s University defeat Acadia for the national championship in the centre’s opening year. It was the ultimate battle for supremacy between two Nova Scotian teams.
Kentville is the "Shire" town of Kings County. The area was first settled by the Acadians. With the creation of their dyking systems they turned the land into a very fertile agricultural area. After the Acadians were expelled from the area in 1755 the area was then settled by the New England Planters. The town was originally referred to as Horton Corner but was renamed Kentville in 1826 after Prince Edward, Duke of Kent lived in the area for some time.
With the help of the Association of Nova Scotia Museums, the Kings County Museum recently partook in the Subject Matter Expert (SME) partnership. As a result, 3 stories are featured in this gallery. With the advice of bottle expert, Kim Troop, various records in this gallery were examined. Most bottles are from the Jijuktu’kwejk Watershed Alliance Collection. The marks and labels indicate that some of these bottles were used by druggists in Nova Scotia. For instance,
an extract bottle (2018.036.003) used by druggists like C.C. Richards and L.C. of Yarmouth (circa 1880) is in the gallery. Another bottle (2018.036.005) was produced by A.S. Hinds Company, which was based in New England (Portland, ME) as a maker of medicines for coughs and colds. Kim Troop stated that the Rawleighs medicine company bottle (2018.036.007) with continued thread on the neck is machine made, consumer glass works, c. 1940s. A popular Minard's liniment bottle (2018.036.009) was also a topic of discussion. ANSM staff helped identify related artifacts, such as the 3oz medicine bottle with a label stating: Manufactured by B.R. Bishop, Kentville, N.S. According to the label, it is for colds and an irritated throat. A print by Amos Lawson Hardy, a talented photographer who captured scenes of Nova Scotia during his lifetime, photographed the home of Dr. Bishop (P995.185.1), expanding this narrative. This property is presently the site of H.C. Lindsay's Funeral Home. It is located at the corner of Leverett and Main St. It was once the home of Mary Innis Lowe, the Mother of Gordon Lowe. Another photograph of cyclists near Mill Brook Bridge (P996.46.6) is described as having the Roscoe House in the background (Roscoe House, presently H. C. Lindsay Funeral Home). There appears to have been a change in ownership. A photograph looking from Main Street down Abderdeen Street to the Hotel Aberdeen paints a clear picture of the streetscape (P996.46.13). A mounted portrait of the Innis family on the front porch of Dr. Bishop's House (P995.185.3) is also in the gallery. A few other photographs by A.L. Hardy show the Sanatorium Medical Staff, including doctors (P984.31.6 & P981.67.3). We invite you to explore the rich medical history in Kentville and celebrate these connections with us!
A collection of badges of the Nova Scotia Highland Brigade in the First World War. The Nova Scotia Highland Brigade was the term used to describe the five Nova Scotia Highlander battalions raised for service during the war and consisted of the 85th, 185th, 193rd, 219th and 246th Canadian Infantry Battalions.
In partnership with the Association of Nova Scotia Museums, the Kings County Museum recently participated in the Subject Matter Expert (SME) partnership. With the help of Allison Magee, a number of silverware records were examined. With the help of ANSM staff, related records were identified to highlight connections to the Dominion Atlantic Railway (DAR). 3 main stories are featured in this gallery. DAR started operation in 1894 and was then leased by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) in 1911. According to record P991.189.131, in 1898, DAR had a new steamer, the S.S. Prince George, built in Hull, England. She arrived in Yarmouth in November and was put on the Boston run. Both Captain Arthur and Adelbert MacKinnon were her masters. In that same year a sister ship, the Prince Arthur, was built and put into service under the command of J. Ernest Kenney and Alvin Simms. The ships ran daily during the summer months while the S.S. Prince Edward was laid up for repairs. In 1904, the Prince Arthur was put on the Boston-New York-Yarmouth run on a weekly basis. A related record is "The Land of Evangeline Nova Scotia Annotated Guide" (2018.012.008), which is a 67 page softcover Dominion Atlantic Railway (DAR) brochure that promoted travel to Nova Scotia. You will also find a 68 page soft cover brochure titled, "Vacation Days in Nova Scotia" (dated 1907) in this gallery (2018.012.007). A selection of these objects were found in the spring of 2005 by the firm of Neill & Gunter Ltd., a Design & Consulting Engineer Co. Work was completed for the town of Kentville to clean up the former Dominion Atlantic Railway (Canadian Pacific) lands located at the western end of the Town of Kentville. A large collection of items were unearthed near the railway roundhouse and donated to the museum in the fall of 2005. It is likely that many of these artifacts were part of the dining service on the train. A letter (2008.005.011) was also found inside a can time capsule, which was encased in the cement foundation of the roundhouse. It was written on a time sheet from the Canadian Pacific Railway, signed by builders of the cement foundation, John DeWolfe, George Gillis, Harry Lynch, Harvey McLeod, and Albert Roberts. The three individuals who found the foundation wrote a response, as seen in this gallery (2008.005.013). Passenger service continued on at least some parts of the line from Halifax to Yarmouth until in the 1970s. We invite you to explore the the various items in this gallery that help tell the story of day-to-day operations on the railway. The silverware serves as a reminder that trains were used by many on a regular basis for travel in Nova Scotia. The tools and railway parts remind us of the work done by employees to keep the railway fully operational and on schedule. Other unique items include: railway spikes; a Crane wheel, possibly a part of a steam locomotive that was in use until at least the 1950s; a door or cabin handle, reminiscent of a sliding door handle; and a lamp cover.
This collection of artifacts help us see how much weddings have changed over the past century. These artifacts date back to as early as the Edwardian era, and include documents, dresses and more. Unfortunately not all the artifacts have been photographed, or have good quality pictures we can present here, please bear with us as we improve our database.
A collection of things that you NEED before the zombie apocalypse. When the zombies strike, West Hants Historical Society is where you want to be!
Dalhousie University is celebrating its bicentennial this year, having opened its doors for the first time in 1818. Along with the 200 years of academics comes 200 years of sports and athletics!
The photos in this gallery cover men's and women's athletics from the 1909 through 2000.
The Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame was pleased to be a part of the Association of Nova Scotia Museum's Subject Matter Expert (SME) partnership this year. We worked closely with Doug Wright who shared his knowledge of the history of football in Nova Scotia. With the help of ANSM staff, connections were made to additional records and 6 main stories were uncovered. Records relating to the Shearwater Flyers started as a branching off point during this process. Harvey Mills became head coach of the 1957 Shearwater Flyers and put together what was arguably the best football squad ever assembled in this province. The Flyers were a navy team, composed of many men and officers from HMCS Shearwater. It was a truly exciting year at the naval airbase. By the time the regular season was over, the Flyers had smashed just about every gridiron record this side of the St. Lawrence.
The trio of Bob Hayes, Bruce Walker, and Buck Taylor made a shambles of the individual scoring statistics, with Hayes and Walker being tied for the scoring title at 114 points each, and Taylor placing third with 78 points. As a team, the Flyers piled up 389 points. The next best was 115 points by StFX.
When the Flyers moved on to face the New Brunswick champions, the Mount Allison Mounties, they racked up a 40-18 victory: their ninth straight win of the year. That earned them a date with the Brantford Tiger-Cats for the Eastern Canadian intermediate championship. With 3,000 people looking on at the Wanderers Grounds, Shearwater scored an electrifying 12-7 victory to earn a berth in the final against the Fort William Redskins. A record 5,000 fanatical followers crammed the Wanderers Grounds to watch the Flyers fall behind 21-14. As the Flyers dug deeper, they piled up 13 unanswered points and a 27-21 win made them the first Maritime-based team to win the title. In this gallery there is a photograph of Bruce Walker in uniform with football in hand (1954) (2012.01.511). Walker can also be seen driving into the end zone for the winning touchdown in the 1957 Canadian Senior Football Championship (Shearwater Flyers vs. Redskins) (2006.06.01). This game was held at the Wanderers Grounds on November 23, 1957. Another key connection to football in Nova Scotia is this location. In the 1880s, this land was used by the Halifax Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club (WAAC). It served as their home grounds for multiple sports, including rugby as seen in the photograph of the Halifax Wanderers football team (1895) with the club in the background (990.104.01). Some of these records have ties to the Wanderers Grounds and Harry A. Cochrane, who took photographs for the Mail-Star Chronicle-Herald, as seen in the description of 2012.01.253. Cochrane photographed a game between Stadacona and Greenwood during his career. The Halifax Navy Football Team, the Stadacona Sailors, were the 1953 Nova Scotia Champions and were coached by Don Loney (996.403.01). Bob Hayes (#31) can be seen here and in other photographs in this gallery. John "Fabie" Bates story is unique. Fabie played hockey and football for St. Francis Xavier University (St.FX) in 1915-1916 and then served in the Royal Canadian Army during World War I from 1916-1919. During the War he survived a mustard gas attack, temporary blindness and a secret allied expedition in Northern Russia. In 1919, he went back to St.FX and captained both the hockey and football teams. During his years at St.FX, Bates led the hockey team to two intercollegiate championships and in his last season scored half of the team's total goals. In 1921, Bates graduated from St.FX and went on to Dalhousie Medical School. While at Dal, he played hockey and rugby. Fabie was known as "one of the most brilliant and popular athletes ever to attend Dalhousie." Other connections were made by investigating the name of the events on the trophies. Records relating to the Canadian Senior Football Championship, Purdy Cup, Bidwell Cup, and Atlantic Bowl Game are to name a few. A photograph of Saint Mary's players Scott Dunthorne (#40) and Bob Brennan (#45) celebrating an Atlantic Bowl win over Bishop's University on Nov. 14, 1988 can be seen here (996.374.01). A game pamphlet for the Purdy Cup is in the gallery (2011.08.24). A tie to the Halifax Buccaneers and Bruce Walker was made when examining record 2001.16.01. Hugh Grant won the trophy in 1965 when he was a member of the Halifax Buccaneers. The trophy is in the name of Bruce Walker, a member of the Shearwater Flyers. A connection to the Dartmouth Vikings was also made (989.107.01). This action shot is of a game between the Buccaneers and the Dartmouth Vikings (1965). We are happy with the progress made and hope this can act as a starting point for researchers and sport enthusiasts. We invite you to explore these connections further by browsing our collection on NovaMuse and celebrate the stories of football in Nova Scotia with us.
The Colchester Historeum recently participated in the Association of Nova Scotia Museum's Subject Matter Expert (SME) partnership. In this gallery, the stories of logging, milling and forestry in Colchester County and surrounding areas come to life with the help of records in our collection. With the help of ANSM staff, 5 main stories were identified.
Common themes include: transportation methods (work horses, railway, waterways, etc.); related businesses (carriage making, furniture making, etc.); real estate/ownership; impact of location; fires; advertising; and employment.
There are strong connections to local manufacturing and businesses in this gallery. The images of workers from various mills and work horses help paint a clear picture of day-to-day life in this industry.
Stories found in these records include:
J. J. Snook, an owner of a prosperous harness and saddle business (c. 1870), organized a lumber camp at Farm Lake (c. 1908). Nora and George Tucker (of Tatamagouche) looked after the camp and are pictured here. You will find a weight used for tethering horses manufactured by J. J. Snook and a photograph of the business describing it as "one of the largest horse furnishing houses in the Maritime Provinces." We invite you to explore the various horse related records (photographs, equipment, etc.), an integral part of the operation in these industries.
A number of employee photographs help tell the story of life on the job. One photograph shows a lumber crew in camp at Farm Lake (c. 1908.) with Nora and George Tucker in the sleigh with their dog. Another photograph is J. Currie Giddens logging crew (Westchester Mountain, Cumberland County, Dec. 1914). The log bridge on the Isgonish River, as seen in one of the photographs, was situated two miles below Farm Lake. It was built by Rufus McNutt's logging crew in 1898. There is also a photograph of McKenzie & Graham, a rotary saw mill and woodworking factory, the only sawmill in Truro (c. 1915).
Another fantastic connection is to Thomas McMullen, a carriage maker until 1871. Then, he built a mill on Upper Prince St. He owned 300, 000 acres of land and was mainly responsible for building the Midland Railway from Truro to Windsor (1900). You can see a span of the Midland Railway Bridge ready to be floated into place on the Shubenacadie River (1901). We invite you to explore the photographs of his family and homes.
A unique item found in this gallery is a marking stamp, which came from the Purdy family in Westchester. It is thought to be the original stamp used at the Great Village Post Office. There is a connection to the Great Village River and John Purdy
of Londonderry/Great Village in this gallery.
A special connection was made between Osborne Higgins of Crowe's Mills and related records. Higgins ran a sawmill in Crowe's Mills. A pair of snowshoes that were used to travel to a lumber mill site 9 km from Five Islands school up a mountain to Gunlow were originally owned by Higgins, touching on the importance of reliable transportation. A strong connection to past times was also made. Three harmonicas in this gallery were played by Higgins at home, in church, and during local kitchen parties. Higgins also purchased a reel-to-reel tape recorder in February 1952 from a Truro merchant. The recorder cost a considerable $150.00. Higgins used the recorder to record voices of friends, family, his music and the music of other local groups. There is also a photograph of the Logan Pugsley Mill (Harrington River, Lower Five Islands, 1909).
Advertisements for business were also predominant at this time. Eli Archibald's advertisement for Carriage and Horse Furnishings (Prince St., Truro) appeared in the Truro Daily News on December 27, 1911. Another for the Truro Steam Mill stating Lumber for Sale on April 25, 1877 demonstrates how the lumber and forestry industry impacted day-to-day operations and success.
We invite you to explore the various connections found in these records and enjoy the stories of those associated with logging, milling, and forestry in Nova Scotia.
Many of our incredible athletes have also served their country in the army, navy and air force.
Nova Scotia has produced some of the world's best athletes!
Browse a sample of our collection of photographs that depict our homegrown summer and winter Olympians spanning over a century.
The Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame was pleased to be a part of the Association of Nova Scotia Museum's Subject Matter Expert (SME) partnership this year. We worked closely with Doug Wright to enrich records pertaining to the history of sport in the Royal Canadian Navy. With the help of ANSM staff, we uncovered 5 main stories, as seen in this gallery. The first record is a portrait of Stan Scanllon, a defenseman, wearing a Royal Canadian Navy team sweater. His team is listed as the 1941/1942 Champions (975.01.148). A photograph of what we believe to be the Executive Committee for the Halifax Defence League, or start of this league, circa 1946 was also of interest (975.01.813 l). Another photograph shows two members of the Halifax and District League and two navy officers standing together with bleachers in the background. Officers were U.S. Navy visitors and the players were most likely civilians. After the Second World War, Halifax hosted exhibition games with the U.S. Navy (989.01.81). Many different sports were played since the early 1900s, as seen by the 1917 Navy soccer team from the H.M.C.S. Niobe (989.280.01). Many of the Royal Canadian Navy teams also achieved great success. A fantastic Royal Canadian Navy basketball champion jacket (1941) reads "R.C.N. 1941 Senior Basketball Champs Maritime" (994.502.01). The work of talented players was seen throughout the years. Some players passed their knowledge onto others by coaching. Darius "Pat" Patterson ran the anchor leg of a one mile relay race for the Navy against Maryland University in a special event in April 1934, as seen in photograph 996.79.01. Never in the history of a sport in Cape Breton has one man had a more influential impact than Darius Patterson had on basketball in Sydney during the 1940s and 1950s. Patterson took on the task of supervising the basketball program at Sydney Academy. During his years he put in place a coaching record that stood as one of the most amazing ever at the high school level. Darius Patterson was inducted into the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame in 1992. Another Hall of Famer named Jack Fritz can be seen in his Navy uniform (2016.10.04) and on the ice (2012.01.623 & 2002.07.50). This lead to the discover of teammates like Wally Hughes and Hal Stade, goaltenders for the RCN Hockey Team (Feb. 1943) and others pictured here in the same uniform. We can't forget about the training staff. Their dedication to sport and continual guidance was appreciated by athletes. A photograph of training staff (baseball) at Stadacona (Halifax, NS) from the 1950s can be seen here. The Stadacona gym (as seen in the background) was constructed in 1943. At the bottom left is Bob Coe. The photograph was dated by Doug Wright as after Second World War based on the decorations worn by the three Lieutenants in front row. Other staff members are petty officers with a chief petty officer in the back row (2012.01.308). There are multiple team photographs in this gallery that we invite you to explore, many taken here. The photograph of the Royal Canadian Navy Football team (1928) was taken in front of the Gunnery School building at Stadacona (990.221.01). A tie to the H.M.C.S. Stadacona is the Halifax Navy Football Team (Stadacona Sailors). This team was the 1953 Nova Scotia Champions and were coached by Don Loney (996.403.01). A photograph of the Royal Canadian Navy hockey team (1940-41) has a great story. Several team members played in the NHL or professionally before wartime. The rightmost officer would have been the Chief PE Instructor or team's trainer. The description on the back describes the largest crowd in the Forum (1940-41). 9200 fans attended and this number is described as never broken. This game was between the Halifax Navy and Sydney Millionaires (1999.02.03). The Navy hockey teams continued to see success in upcoming years. The Halifax Wanderers Grounds was the center of sports activity in Nova Scotia for many years. During the summer of 1942, the Halifax’s Wanderers Grounds baseball park and clubhouse were reappropriated to act as the recreation centre for the Royal Canadian Navy stationed in the city. The clubhouse was renamed the Navy League Club House to reflect this change.
On August 1, 1942, the recreation park was officially reopened by the Navy and an opening game was held which pitted the team from Halifax against a Navy team from Toronto. Retired Yankee baseball player George Herman “Babe” Ruth was asked to appear at the opening ceremony. At some point during the game, Ruth interrupted play to give a hitting exhibition for the 5000 fans assembled at the park. Ruth took to the plate to hit a few easy pitches from Awkie Titus, a relief pitcher for the local Halifax Defence League’s Navy Club (975.01.800). A photograph of opening day ceremonies shows the large turn out (986.28.04). A souvenir programme yearbook entitled "Commemorating A Banner Year of Hockey" for the 1945 Halifax Senior Hockey League includes profiles of the players for Halifax Navy team, Dartmouth R.C.A.F. team and Cornwallis Navy team, as well as, rosters for each team (2001.02.21). Players come together in future years to form the United Services men's hockey team. The United Services team existed in the Maritime Major Hockey League in 1946-47 until Dec. 8 when they had to disband for wartime service. They were made up of members of the Armed Forces and were a combination of the Army, Navy, and Air Force (2011.44.23). Trophies also contain valuable information. The trophy for the Garrison Hockey League lets us know that H.M.C.S. Shearwater won this tournament in 1954 (985.80.01). We invite you to explore these stories and continue to make important connections in these records.
A selection of our Aviation History photographs!
Our museum has a large collection of glass bottles with different uses ranging from milk bottles to medicine bottles. These are some examples of our most interesting bottles, complete with pictures. Unfortunately not all the artifacts have been photographed, or have good quality pictures we can present here, please bear with us as we improve our database.
Celebrating 50 years since the first Canada Summer Games were held in Halifax/Dartmouth.
A collection of published pieces by editorial cartoonist Bob Chambers
It is the first snowstorm of the season and to celebrate we look back to snowstorms of years past. Nova Scotia winters hold many stories.
Fashion is always changing and evolving. The clothes people choose to wear tell a story. A story of who they were as people and how they lived their lives. Here is a selection of clothing and clothing accessories that span across multiple centuries!
A few photographs celebrating For Edward National Historic Site
Soon after the Chestico Museum & Historical Society was established in 1978, a large collection of artifacts was acquired from the estate of Lee Hart. Lee was the son of Margaret Ann (Smith) and John Hart. Among the collection were a number of Mrs. Hart’s hats. Let us know if any look familiar!
Our collection of artifacts related to war. This collection covers everything from items soldiers would've used during WWI and WWII, letters from the field, and music inspired by war. This collection is currently on display in our Summer Kitchen and was curated by our Summer Students. Unfortunately not all the artifacts have been photographed, or have good quality pictures we can present here, please bear with us as we improve our database.
The Thorburn Mohawks, who won three straight provincial and Maritime championships between 1963 and 1965, are one of Maritime softball’s true dynasties. Thorburn Mohawk teams traced a glittering history through the 20th century starting with five straight Pictou County championships from 1930-34, provincial senior titles in 1932 and 1934, and a Maritime crown in 1934. Today, the Mohawks of the early 1960s are being recognized for traveling three years and three provinces with precision, cutting down every team they faced with low-hit pitching, high-powered offence, stellar defence, and the ultimate definition of the word "teamwork".
In an era when softball was the game of choice, the statistics compiled by the Junior Mohawks remain without equal in the annals of Maritime softball. A win-loss record of 30 wins, 3 losses, and one tie (in provincial and Maritime playoffs); a team batting average of .333, while the opposition was limited to a mere .170 average; scoring 396 runs, while allowing the opposition only 139; and winning the Trenton Softball League Championship in 1964 and 1965, while competing against both intermediate and senior teams, are all facts that testify to the greatness of the young Mohawks team.
Undoubtedly, the Mohawks would have been successful in any era, including today. It is worthy to note that the actual playing of the game represents only one dimension of this great softball team. The team camaraderie was unique. They recruited players, looked after player cards, developed the ball field, organized transportation, practiced three to five times a week, prepared the field for games, arranged for umpires, looked after advertising, and arranged games. Accordingly, the players became a family wherein trust, respect, and a belief in one another contributed to the concept of team both on and off the field. As a result, there was (and remains today) a bond among this group of young men that contributed to their greatness on the field and individual success in both career and community. Even after 30 years the team remains close.
This collection represents our newest exhibit at the Kings County Museum for summer 2018, which showcases wedding dress styles, and customs throughout the 20th century!
The Nova Scotia Glass Company was founded in New Glasgow in 1881 by William Godkin Beach, who originated from Hamilton Ontario and had experience in the glass business. New Glasgow was chosen as the home for this new company due to its access to cheap coal, and its proximity to Stellarton and the Intercolonial Railway. Beach recruited skilled glass workers from Pittsburgh who were both familiar with the trade and the business side of glass making to come up to New Glasgow to work for his new company. In doing this Beach, was able to make his up and coming company even more successful.
This is part of a collection of Nova Scotia Glass collected by Verna Mae Chase nee Stronach, born March 12, 1930 in Spa Springs, County of Annapolis and Province of Nova Scotia. She married Leonard Ethan Chase on February 12, 1954 in Melvern Square, County of Annapolis. While living in the community of Centreville, Township of Cornwallis, County of Kings and Province of Nova Scotia. Verna Chase died November 4, 2008. It was her request and wish that this collection be given to the Kings Historical Society. This was carried out by her husband Leonard Chase who made the donation in her memory.
Welcome to the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum's NovaMusa Photo Gallery!
The most comprehensive aviation museum east of Ottawa, the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum is dedicated to the preservation of Canada's rich civilian and military aviation history. The museum is home to more than 20 aircraft and 2 simulators, including a replica of the first aircraft to fly in Canada - the Silver Dart, the oldest home built in Nova Scotia, a CF-101 Voodoo and a World War II Canso to name just a few.
This pottery collection was made by Ed Goodstein and Elizabeth Stuart in Grand Pre, Nova Scotia. The pair met in a pottery class in Washington DC, before relocating to Grand Pre. The pair each made their own style of pottery but sold them together. Goodstein came to pottery later in life after retiring from a US Federal Government job, While Stuart always sold pottery under her maiden name - focusing on making things for everyday use. Objects from this collection are from the estate of Lynn McLelland.
Nova Scotian women and girls have a long and storied past in sports and recreation. From school teams to Olympians, check out these ladies who loved their games and proved that everyone should want to "play like a girl."
Camera's have been used for centuries as a way of documenting people's lives. The very first "camera" known to history was called the Camera Obscura (or the Pinhole Camera) - this is believed to date back to the ancient Greeks and ancient Chinese. In the early times of this particular camera it was used to watch solar eclipses. It wasn't until 1827 that Joseph Nicephore Niepce was able to use the Camera Obscura to preserve images in photographic forms - these early photos were known as heliographs (or Sun Prints). As time evolved people discovered ways of creating more permanent photos and photo taking devices, like the ones we have today!
Curated by: NovaMuse
In celebration of #Canada150, Canadian History 11 students across Nova Scotia curated 150 artifacts from NovaMuse.
- 150 artifacts for 150 years -
Popular topics: public service, industry, transportation, sport, and everyday life.
A collection of the weird, wacky, and random things found in our storage rooms.