Accession number: 2003.108.009
Date: 1842 – 1951
Measurements: 20.5 cm L x 14 cm H x 3 cm Thick
Narrative: A piece of similar trim can be seen in the photo of the interior of the St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church, Antigonish County. (See photo 2003.108.002) The trim is located on the corners of the portrait of St. Andrew located behind the altar. The portrait was painted by the artist Signor Roberto Pompiano of Rome. The construction of the St. Andrews Church took place between 1842 to 1846 with John Mac Donald, builder from Antigonish, who had a reputation of building churches in the district. John Mac Donald had many volunteers from the community of St. Andrews and area to help construct the church. One such volunteer was Donald MacGillivary (Bridge) who helped haul stone from Williams’ Point to the construction site. The building of the church was truly a community effort. The new church cost, ₤1800 to erect and the monies raised were from the 200 families in the parish. The church opened June 29th 1846. One person's account of event indicated that the opening ceremony of the church attracted approximately 5000 well wishers. This church was dismantled in 1951 by Dan A. “Danny Christopher” Chisholm, James “Jimmy the King” Chisholm, and Alex Mac Donald. Most of the structure was demolished, but some portions were salvaged. Along with this piece of carved trim, the iron cross from the steeple, and the altar stone were saved and are still used today as an outdoor altar. Also, the crèche is still used every Christmas, and some of the timbers were reused for the building of St. Ann’s Church in Guysborough County.
Description: Hand carved decorative trim; symmetrical floral and leaf motif in wood; angled to fit into a corner; nail holes on the reverse; the simple flower motifs are green in colour, but a small amount of yellow paint suggests they were yellow at one time. The back is unfinished.