Inscribed on casing at 10.0 cm from base and descending: QF 18 PR IT FS Scotia (in script) 11 11 15 MP
The 18 pound quick-fire artillery shell was used in the 18-pounder field gun, which was the most common gun used by British, Canadian, and other Commonwealth countries in the First World War. After the Boer War, the British realized that they needed a quick firing gun with greater mobility, firepower, and loading speed. Thus the 18-pounder gun was introduced for British and Commonwealth artilleries. By 1914, 1225 guns had been produced. When first developed, the artillery shells in the 18-pounder gun were most commonly shrapnel shells used to target men in the open, and filled with lead antimony balls that would scatter when the shell exploded. Later in the war, due to the shift to trench warfare, gas, smoke, high explosive, amour piercing, and incendiary shells were also developed for the 18-pounder gun. Each type of shell would also have a variety of “marks” with different specifications. For most of the varieties of shells, the fuse was located in the nose cap, inside the percussion pellet with the detonator would ignite the powder. The percussion pellet sat near the point of the fuse, and an aluminum cap protected it from the fuse.