Adjuster, Pitch
Adjuster, Pitch
Adjuster, Pitch
Adjuster, Pitch
Adjuster, Pitch
Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
Fultz House Museum

Adjuster, Pitch


Accession number: 2006.11.01b
Category: Woodworking T&E
Date: 1860 – 1900
Materials: Wood
Measurements: 10 cm L x 5.2 cm W x 4.8 cm H
Marks/Label: "B. D. Fultz" stamped twice on the end.
Narrative: This pitch adjuster was used by Bennett Daniel Fultz, a wheelwright by trade who lived and worked in Lower Sackville. A pitch adjuster is a device which may be attached to a level in order to determine the pitch of a particular slope. Bennett D. Fultz was the grandson of Anthony Fultz and Ann Eleanor Fitzpatrick and son of Anthony Fultz Jr. and Ellen Fitzpatrick. In 1858 Bennett Fultz bought a parcel of land from his cousin William Beresford Fultz. Four years later he married Mary Susan Robinson, daughter of another old Sackville family. They built their home sometime between the birth of their first son, Alexander Herman in 1862, and the birth of their first daughter, Winnifred Oldmixon in 1864. Bennett and Mary's house received several additions prior to 1900 to accomadate their growing family. In all they would have four sons and four daughters. The Fultz's home was located at the corner of the Two Great Roads of Nova Scotia, one that went to Truro and the other that went to Windsor. Their home was often the centre of many social gatherings for the community as well as for family. In addition Bennett, for a short while, and Mary operated the local post office from their kitchen window. This plane would have been used for the making of decorative moulding.
Description: A small rectangular block of wood with a notch out of one side. In the notch is another piece of wood that is higher than the surrounding piece. This piece can move up and down within the notch. There is a hole with a dowel in it. The dowel extends down below the larger piece of wood. There is a large screw at one end.
History of Use: Made by Bennett Fultz for his Wheelwright business. Damaged in the 12 Mile House fire (1890)