Cash Book
Cash Book
Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
DesBrisay Museum

Cash Book


Accession number: 2019.4.1.15
Object type: Organizational
Date: April 15 1958 – November 29 1966
Materials: Paper
Measurements: 30 cm L x 26 cm W
Marks/Label: Stamped on cover:  18, Cols.   Manufacturer's label inside cover reads:  The "Torch" Line / Line 70 - 72 pages.
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Cash Book, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada.  The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen.  The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C.   Later on the ladies were admitted to membership.  The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900).  In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees.  Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts.  The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules.  The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds.  The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911.  The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Black hard cover book with gold pin stripped design at spine and corner.  Inside front cover is printed manufacturer's product information.  Inside are ivory coloured pages with blue and red lines for recording transactions.  Cash book for the Bridgewater Tennis Club from 1958 to 1966.  Contains handwritten entries for payments and receipts of the club.  Last page has handwritten audited by Stephen E. March.
History of Use: Used to record financial transactions of the tennis club.