Book, Account
Book, Account
Book, Account
Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
DesBrisay Museum

Book, Account


Accession number: 2019.4.1.14
Object type: Organizational
Date: April 16 1945 – February 11 1957
Materials: Paper; Cardboard
Measurements: 31 cm L x 26 cm W
Marks/Label: Stamped inside book in blue ink:  Bridgewater Tennis Club.  Handwritten below:  Account book started April, 1945.
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Account Book, Ian M. Campbell
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada.  The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen.  The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C.   Later on the ladies were admitted to membership.  The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900).  In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees.  Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts.  The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules.  The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds.  The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911.  The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Black hard covered book with a red spine and corners. 75 pages.  Handwritten account book for the Bridgewater Tennis Club from 1945 to 1957.  Contains financial entries for the men and ladies members dues and other payments used during the operation of the club.  Handwritten inside first page by Secretary-Treasurer Marion E. Gamester when book was started and who took over and the date it was passed onto the next member.
History of Use: Used to record financial transactions of the tennis club.