Accession number: 2019.4.1.8
Object type: Organizational
Date: late 1950s
Measurements: 27 cm L x 21 cm W
Subject: Bridgewater, Sports, Tennis, Bridgewater Tennis Club, Membership, Committees, Executive Officers, Elsie Harrington, Ruth Kelley, Catherine E. Roberts
Narrative: The Bridgewater Tennis Club was organized in 1890 with the first president being Mr. Robert A. Logan, making it the second oldest tennis club in Canada. The President eventually was succeeded by W. H. Owen. The first secretary was Mr. H. T. Ross, K.C. Later on the ladies were admitted to membership. The first field was rented from the late Judge M.B. DesBrisay. (1828-1900). In 1902 the property was purchased and held for the Club by trustees. Until 1910 grass courts were used and eventually they installed clay courts. The club was incorporated by special act of the legislature in 1910 and was organized with the regulation by-laws and ground rules. The club also had on its large grounds two sets of quoit beds. The Nova Scotia Provincial Tennis Association held their tournament at Bridgewater in 1911. The club is still active and plays on the Maple Street courts at the Kinsmen Field.
Description: Typewritten pieces of paper outlining the officers and committees of the Bridgewater Tennis Club. Contains names of members who were elected to various committees and executive positions, such as President, Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer and Managing, Membership, Tea, House and Ways and Means Committees for 1956 to 1959. Submitted by Elsie Harrington, Ruth Kelley and Catherine E. Roberts.
History of Use: Used to record members on committees of the Bridgewater Tennis Club.