Accession number: 2019.022.001
Materials: Paper; Ink;
Narrative: Excerpt from The Casket ( Mar/Apr ??1927)
An expenditure of $25,000. Has been approved by the Dominion Government for the purpose of providing a fish hatchery in or near Antigonish, and the establishment of this station here is now practically assured. During the past few days James Catt, district inspector of fish hatcheries for the Maritime Provinces, has been in this neighborhood, looking over suitable sites. He was assisted by Donald Sutherland, inspector of fisheries, Pictou and W G Harris, fishery overseer, Harbor Road. A number of locations that seemed to answer requirements in every detail were found, and these have been recommended in Mr Catt’s report to the department. Later on a survey of the various properties will be made by Charles Bruce, cE of the Fisheries Department, who will make the final choice of site. The plant will consist of hatchery building, superintendent’s quarters, ponds for salmon, and brood trout. The staff will consist of the superintendent and his assistant, with additional help at certain seasons. It is believed that the plant will be a thoroughly modern one, capable of supplying in addition to the local demand for salmon and brook trout, the requirements of adjoining counties as well. The increase of the tourist traffic is beginning to tell on the well stocked brooks of the Maritimes, and the establishing of the proposed hatchery will supply stock to keep the trout fishing of the province at a high standard. Conversation with Roy Cunningham, Saturday, November 16th, 2002 at his home at 32 Greening Drive He indicates that Billy Turnbull was the first manager of the fish hatchery at Fraser’s Mills in the 1920’s.
Description: Rectangular; outside view of a site featuring large rectangular pools; two low one story outbuildings