Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
Kings County Museum

Administrative records


Accession number: 2015.003.013
Object type: Record, Shipping
Object subtype: Bill of lading
Date: September 27 1823
Materials: paper; wood; cardboard; wire
Measurements: 34 cm L x 37 cm W x 3 cm ThickThese are the outside measurement of the frame
Vessel Name: Swift
Narrative: This bill of lading came from the schooner Swift bound out of St. John, N.B. fot Cornwallis, N.S. The cargo was a puncheon of molasses. The collection of which this is a part is from the Planters’ Barracks, later known as Acacia Croft, located in Starr’s Point near Port Williams, Kings County, Nova Scotia. The Barracks building was constructed in 1778 by the New England Planters to serve as a military barracks during the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783). Following the war it operated as a customs and excise house by the Whidden family. The donors bought the property in 1973 and in 1986 it became a designated provincial heritage property. They sold it in the 1990s. As of 2016 it was being operated as a bed and breakfast.
Description: Printing and writing on paper within a matted frame.