Accession number: 009.4.47
Object type: documentary artifact
Measurements: 15 cm L x 11 cm W x 4 cm DepthDepth 4 cm thickness.
Description: Black leather bound album; cover incised in cross hatch pattern and deeply embossed with barely discernable remnants of gilt on raised areas. Two gold coloured ornate hinge straps on front cover. Twenty five gilt edged pages within, with window for a photo on both sides. Contains forty two "cartes de visites" (studio photographs printed on card board) and two tin types. Only two of the photos are identified: two women on facing pages labelled "Grandpa George Runciman's sisters in Scotland". On two of the photos the studio stamped on the back is visable: one is " Parish & Co. 122 Hollis St., Halifax, N.S. '', the other "Bowron & Cox 16 King St. Saint John N.B." Another photo has a United States stamp affixed to the back - franked date "Apr. 10 , 1865".
History of Use: Runciman house artifact: house built in 1817 by Rev. John Millidge. George Runciman took possession in early 1840s. In 1978 the property transferred to Heritage Canada. Sold to private owner in 2009, at which point many artifacts from the house were given to AHS by Heritage Canada.