Accession number: P987.65.3
Date: 1672 – 1756
Materials: Iron (?)
Measurements: 7.5 cm L
Measurements: 7.5 cm L x 5.6 cm L
Measurements: 7.5 cm L x 5.6 cm L x 5.6 cm L
Measurements: 7.5 cm L x 5.6 cm L x 5.6 cm L x 4.4 cm L
Narrative: One of 14 archaeological objects collected by Harcourt L. Cameron, a geology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Harcourt was born in 1912 and died on October 3, 1965. These objects were a gift to Kings County Museum in June 1987 from an unknown donor. Acadia University has Harcourt's publications and some correspondance related to his geology work. He published articles on geology, archaeology, photogrammetry, and Nova Scotia historic sites. Sable Island, sometimes called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" and Grand Pre were two of his areas of interest. There are 5 objects each from Sable Island and Beaubassin, 2 from Fort Lawrence, and 1 each from Barrachois Narrows and the Habitation (Port Royal).
Description: Four hand-made nails of various sizes. One is thicker than the others; one is badly bent at the small end and missing the pointed end. All are taperd from the head to a point except two are missing the pointed ends.
History of Use: Hand-made nails were commonly used in wood construction.