Accession number: P987.65.13
Date: 1672 – 1756
Measurements: 29.3 cm LWidth and thickness were not measured because they vary hugely within each link. Length was measured at the longest point stretched out.
Narrative: One of 14 archaeological objects collected by Harcourt L. Cameron, a geology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Harcourt was born in 1912 and died on October 3, 1965. These objects were a gift to Kings County Museum in June 1987 from an unknown donor. Acadia University has Harcourt's publications and some correspondance related to his geology work. He published articles on geology, archaeology, photogrammetry, and Nova Scotia historic sites. Sable Island, sometimes called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" and Grand Pre were two of his areas of interest. There are 5 objects each from Sable Island and Beaubassin, 2 from Fort Lawrence, and 1 each from Barrachois Narrows and the Habitation (Port Royal).
A metal chain of 6 links with 3 loose and 3 cemented together by sand and other materials rendering them unmovable. Some shiny finish on the links suggests possible varnishing previously. Mostly red in colour.
History of Use:
Possibly an anchor chain but some discussion concerning the chance it could be a sailboat rigging chain.