Accession number: P987.65.5
Date: 1672 – 1756
Materials: Earthenware (?)
Measurements: 5.1 cm L x 2.5 cm Hirregular piece measured at longest and highest point, has a sticky label attached
Measurements: 5.1 cm L x 2.5 cm H x 5.6 cm L x 3 cm Hirregular piece measured at longest and highest point, no label or glaze
Measurements: 5.1 cm L x 2.5 cm H x 5.6 cm L x 3 cm H x 3.2 cm L x 3 cm Hirregular piece measured at longest and highest point, fragments of glaze
Marks/Label: One fragment has a small sticky, white label with P987-65-5 in black ink lettering.
Narrative: One of 14 archaeological objects collected by Harcourt L. Cameron, a geology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Harcourt was born in 1912 and died on October 3, 1965. These objects were a gift to Kings County Museum in June 1987 from an unknown donor. Acadia University has Harcourt's publications and some correspondance related to his geology work. He published articles on geology, archaeology, photogrammetry, and Nova Scotia historic sites. Sable Island, sometimes called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" and Grand Pre were two of his areas of interest. There are 5 objects each from Sable Island and Beaubassin, 2 from Fort Lawrence, and 1 each from Barrachois Narrows and the Habitation (Port Royal).
3 pieces of brownish red pottery from Beaubassin: one piece has some fragments of a dark brown, shiny glaze. All pieces are irregular and do not appear to fit together. One piece has a sticky label with the accession number in black ink attached - see Marks/Label Field for details.