Accession number: P987.65.11
Date: 1672 – 1756
Materials: Glass, unknown staining material
Measurements: 7.2 cm H x 0.5 cm Thick x 2.8 cm DiameterHeight taken at highest point standing on jagged edge. Thickness messaged at thickest point along jagged edge. Diameter measured at the top at the widest point.
Marks/Label: Labelled as FORT LAWRENCE in black lettering over a gray painted background on the side just below the lip.
Narrative: One of 14 archaeological objects collected by Harcourt L. Cameron, a geology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Harcourt was born in 1912 and died on October 3, 1965. These objects were a gift to Kings County Museum in June 1987 from an unknown donor. Acadia University has Harcourt's publications and some correspondance related to his geology work. He published articles on geology, archaeology, photogrammetry, and Nova Scotia historic sites. Sable Island, sometimes called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" and Grand Pre were two of his areas of interest. There are 5 objects of each of Sable Island and Beaubassin, 2 from Fort Lawrence, and 1 from each of Barrachois Narrows and the Habitation (Port Royal).
Description: Fragment of the top of a glass bottle with gray and brown coating of unknown material nearer the top lip. Rainbow colours reflected off staining on outside surface under bright light. Brown, dirt-like material staining on inside. Chipped on the underside of the lip at the top. Translucent green coloured glass visible on the jagged edge at the bottom. Labelled as FORT LAWRENCE in black lettering over a gray painted background on the side just below the lip.