Accession number: P987.65.12
Object type: Bottle
Date: 1672 – 1756
Measurements: 0.7 cm Thick x 11.6 cm DiameterDiameter and thickness at widest and thickest point.
Marks/Label: FORT LAWRENCE in black lettering on a gray painted background
Narrative: One of 14 archaeological objects collected by Harcourt L. Cameron, a geology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. Harcourt was born in 1912 and died on October 3, 1965. These objects were a gift to Kings County Museum in June 1987 from an unknown donor. Acadia University has Harcourt's publications and some correspondance related to his geology work. He published articles on geology, archaeology, photogrammetry, and Nova Scotia historic sites. Sable Island, sometimes called the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" and Grand Pre were two of his areas of interest. There are 5 objects each from Sable Island and Beaubassin, 2 from Fort Lawrence, and 1 each from Barrachois Narrows and the Habitation (Port Royal).
Description: Fragment of the base of a glass bottle. Very dark greenish colour but semi-transparent when viewed through a strong light source. Some bubbles visible internally as part of manufacturing. Noticably heavy when held. Lettering printed in black on a gray background near the top of the hump of the base fragment - see Marks/Label field for details.