Accession number: 07.30.1
Date: before 1938
Measurements: 38 cm Diameter x 24 cm Depth
Brand: Imperial Duplex
Marks/Label: On brass exterior enclosed in a wreath of leaves: Whaley Royce & Co. Imperial Duplex Makers Toronto.
Narrative: This snare drum was made by Whaley, Royce & Co, Ltd., Toronto, instrument dealers and manufacturers, founded in 1888. Whaley Royce claimed to have built the first cornet in Canada in 1888, and the first flute, piccolo, and clarinet in 1895. After 1920 only brass instruments and drums were made. The firm has sold mainly imported instruments under the trade name 'Imperial', its registered name for the best of its three lines, the other two being 'Ideal' and 'Sterling'. It ceased manufacturing instruments in 1975. This snare drum was played by the donor in the Wolfville High School Band in 1937. The Wolfville High School Band was formed in 1934. Its first public appearance was in 1935 at King George V's Jubilee celebration. The band played at Apple Blossom Festival parades, hockey games, etc. Their uniform was a yellow sweater with a crest containing a "W" and a blue lyre on the front, black pants, black wedge caps with two buttons and an embroidered "WB" on the left side near the front. The donor was born in Wolfville in 1923, son of Cecil and Cora (Balcom) Hansford.
Description: Brass drum with two skin drumming surfaces. Brass tubular part has one seam from top to bottom. Circular black detachable wooden bands top and bottom. Seven (brackets). One wooden band around the inside circumference, attached with screws. The snare is curled metal wire. Two wooden drum sticks, one bag of hardware, one box of hardware. Makers mark engraved on side.
History of Use: A snare drum or side drum is a tubular drum made of wood or metal with skins -heads- stretched over the top and bottom openings, and with a set of snares stretched across the bottom head. When the top skin is struck, the snares vibrate against the bottom head, producing a short snap-like sound.