Accession number: 75.A.41
Date: 1730 – 1760
Measurements: 49.5 cm W x 105 cm H x 35 cm DepthWidth is from front leg to front leg. Back leg width is 35.5 cm.
Narrative: This is one of a set of six chairs brought to Cornwallis Township, Nova Scotia from Connecticut/ Massachusetts by Deacon John Newcomb, a Planter, in 1760. It resembles closely chairs made in New Jersey between 1730 and 1750. The five thousand New England farmers and fishermen who came to Nova Scotia in the 1760s had been long established in their old homes in New England and brought their furniture, including chairs, with them. The donor's mother-in-law, Sabra Elizabeth Lewis Newcomb McKittrick (1831-?), was a direct descendant of Deacon John Newcomb (1688-1767).
Description: This Queen Anne-style side chair is made of wood, possibly black cherry and walnut or maple. There is a dark stain on the wood and evidence of revarnishing. The top rail has an ogee turn. The back has a solid, flat vase-shaped splat, and a cross piece at the base of the splat above the seat. The legs and the stretchers are turned. There are two stretchers on the sides and one in the front and back. The front stretcher has a ball-and-ring turned shape. The chair has a rush seat which is wider at the front than the back.