Business Category: Coal Mining
Additional Information: Several Locations
Products: coal, limestone, dolomite
Dates Founded: 1893
Remarks: Incorporated on 1 February 1893, Dominion Coal Co. was organized, with the help of F.N. Gisborne, D.J. Kennelly and Hon. J.S. McLennan and headed by Henry Melville Whitney, to stabilize the coal industry in Cape Breton following the freeing up of the GMA leases in 1857. For a time, the company owned nearly all of the coal fields in Cape Breton, except those owned by Nova Scotia Steel & Coal Co. In 1893-94 Dominion Coal Co. acquired the the leases to the following: Caledonia, International and Old Bridgeport, Gardiner, Glace Bay, Reserve, Gowrie and Victoria. The company also absorbed the Sydney & Louisbourg Coal & Railway Co. The first general manager was David McKeen, formerly of Caledonia. From the period 1893-1900, Dominion Coal Co. mind 8,687,136 tons of coal and employed 3475. It also owned the Black Diamond ocean shipping line to transport coal worldwide. Still a separate company after the creation of Dominion Iron & Steel Co., though they were heavily integrated through many avenues, including the Marble Mountain limestone quarry and the Georges River dolomite quarry. In 1909, that company acquired one-thrid of the common stock of Dominion Coal Co. As of 1901, directorship moved from Boston to Canada, with the exodus of Whitney and Moxham, and in 1922, the general manager was H.J. McCann. Dominion Coal Co. worked many different seams and fields, including the following: Sterling, New & Old Victoria, Nos. 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4 (Caledonia), 5, 6 (Clyde Mine), 7 (Hub Mine), 8 (International), 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, Old Emery Mine, South Head Mine, Schooner Pond Mine, Old Gardiner Mine, and Lorway Pits (E & W).
Remarks Source: 1. Vernon, C.W. Cape Breton Canada at the Beginning of the 20th Century: A Treatise of Natural Resources and Development. Nation Publishing Co. Toronto. 1903.
2. History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia. Louis Frost notes (1685-1962) available online at www.mininghistory.ns.ca/.