Business Category: Processing of Fruit and Vegetables
Brands: Appo-Crisp, trujel (?)
Products: Appo-Crisps, apple juice, soft drinks, trujel, hard cider, applesauce, apple essence.
Dates Founded: circa 1925
Remarks: In 1925, the joint stock company of The Middleton Box Factory, announced its intention of erecting a factory for the manufacture of "Appo-Crisp" cereal. This was to be made from apple pulp, a by-product of cider manufacturing, and wheat flour. Head office was to remain in Kentville. In 1929, the Maritime Finance Company, owned by H.W. Phinney of Lawrencetown, purchased this plant as well as Argeno-Joneses' factory in Cambridge, King's County (see Cambridge Jam Factory). Phinney removed the latter company's equipment to the Middleton plant and adopted the name cointed by Jones for his cider, "Scotian Gold," using it to establish "Scotian Gold Products Ltd." Arengo-James himself was offered a position as manager of the new plant, the first unit of the Scotian Gold complex. In 1931, Fred Graham became manager and enlarged the soft drinks section of the business. Eventually a "concentrate" market was developed in England. In 1934, Norm Phinney, son of H.W., became the manager. Under his management, a cannery was established in 1937. 1935: addition of an evaporator to dry the pomace which General Foods purchased for manufacture of their "Cerlo" brand pectin. 1938: Phinney's Hard Cider sold in liquor outlets. Unfortunately, re-classification as a wine placed it in a different strata for tax purposes, eventually leading to its demise. 1939: Apple juice canning perfected finally leading to a stable product. This came after previous attempts had failed. The juice found markets in Quebec and Ontario. 1939-1940: Scotian Gold gets a monopoly from American Can Company. 1940: Automatic gravity coolen designed. 1941: Apple ring dehydrator installed. Two shifts each comprised of 100 women set to work. Markets now in the United Kingdom, New York, and Philadelphia. 1942: "Apple Honey," glycerine substitute developed and used production of "Old Gold" cigarettes. Developed by Norm Phinney and Cam Spurr. 1943: "Trujel," S. Gold's own pectin product sold to a company in Philadelphia. Eventually phased out due to a threatened loss of General Foods contract for pomace sales. It was more lucrative to keep the contract with General Foods. 1947-1948: Dehydrated apple flakes and apple essence manufactured. 1948: Business sold to United Fruit Companies of Nova Scotia. 1957: Incorporation 1963: Business transferred to Coldbrook. In 1945 there were more than 425 employees.
Remarks Source: 1. Harris, W.F., Nova Scotia's Pops and Crocks, 1977.
2. Hutten, Anne, Valley Gold, Petheric Press, Halifax, 1981.
3. Marshall, Furber, Middleton, 75th Anniversary Committee, 1984.
4. "King's and Annapolis County, Opportunities for Settlers," Ottawa, 1925.
5. Annapolis Valley Macdonald Museum of Archives, Vol. 17 # 42.