Accession number: 2014.9.19
Object type: Colour
Date: August 1966
Measurements: 14.5 cm L x 9 cm W
Marks/Label: Written on front of photo: Garden Club Float 1966
Subject: Bridgewater, Special Events, South Shore Exhibition, Parade, Float, Bridgewater Garden Club, People, Unidentified
Narrative: The Bridgewater Garden Club was formed in Bridgewater on 16 March 1949 and the first regular meeting was held on April 4 of that year with 28 members in attendance. In 1950 the Club planted its first garden. Garden planting and maintenance took place at various locations throughout the Town and continues to this day. The first flower show was held in 1952 and remains an annual event. A plant sale was first held in 1956 and the first of the garden tours was held in 1994. The club is involved in various activities such as providing info sessions by garden experts, holding fundraising plant sales, providing field trips and tours, flower arrangement and photo challenges at monthly meetings. The motto of the club is "planting today...for a greener tomorrow".
Description: Colour photograph of the Bridgewater Garden Club's float for the South Shore Exhibition parade. There are two unidentified children sitting on the grass and three unidentified women decorating the float. The float is featuring a tree with pink blossoms. The club's name is printed on a large arched shape board at the front of the wagon. A small banner is on the side which reads: Plant a Centennial Tree. A section of large house is at the right side. Lots of trees in the background. Possibly taken on the Gow property, Bridgewater.
History of Use: Taken to document float in parade.