Accession number: 80.994
Narrative: According to the donor this wedding gown and its accessories were made by her mother, Miss Edith Evelyn Langille, for her own wedding, which took place on September 30, 1908. Miss Langille attended the Normal College, Truro, N.S., during the 1907-08 term, from which she graduated. She boarded at the same house as Mr. George Wesley Theakston father of the donor, who at that time was teaching vocal music in Truro. Mr. Theakston was a graduate of School for the Blind and was totally blind himself. He was a member of the choir of the Pleasant St. Methodist Church, and possibly served as Choir Director. Mr. Theakston and Miss Langille were married in Miss Langille's home, at Plainfield, now part of Scotsburn, Pictou County, N.S. The couple resided in Truro for a brief time before moving to Halifax, where Mr. Theakston continued to teach vocal music.
Description: One pale green wedding gown consisting of some silk; Gown consists of 2 pieces, blouse and skirt. Added accessories of 1 sash or cummerbund and 1 collar, make 4 pieces in all. Exact dimensions of dress are unknown, however, Miss Edith Evelyn Langille, stood around 5 feet 2 inches tall, and weighed around 98 lbs, when she was married in it, in 1908. Piece A consists of -1 blouse.
*D is located in 27/B/Box 1