Image use must be for education or personal purposes only.
The contributing institution must be credited.
Yarmouth County Museum

Armchair


Accession number: Y70.163
Date: January 1 1770
Materials: WOOD, MAHOGANY; FIBRE; METAL
Measurements: 58 cm L x 57 cm W
Description: LARGE HAND-CARVED ARMCHAIR CALLED "BISHOP'S CHAIR" BY DONOR. GOTHIC STYLE BACK SEPARATE FROM SIDE POSTS, JOINED TO THESE BY SHORT WOODEN BUN SHAPED DOWELS. TURNED SIDE PIECES TERMINATING IN FINIALS. GOTHIC STYLE BACK DIVIDED INTO FOUR SPACES SHAPED LIKE GOTHIC WINDOWS. FOUR-LOBED CARVED INSET ABOVE OPENINGS. OVERALL DECOR OF BACK ECCLESIASTICAL IN DESIGN. VERY LONG ARMS, BECAUSE OF DEEP SEAT, ENDING IN CARVED SCROLLS. TURNED FRONT LEGS. BACK LEGS SQUARE IN CROSS SECTION. SEAT UPHOLSTERED. MAHOGANY. ON CASTERS.
History of Use: THOUGHT TO HAVE BEEN MADE C.1770. BELONGED FIRST TO DR. NORMAN BOND. PASSED ON TO VARIOUS MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY AND FINALLY TO MAUDE FARISH WILSON WHO LOANED IT TO THE MUSEUM. HER DAUGHTER, MRS. S. HENLEY, GAVE IT AFTER HER MOTHER'S DEATH.