Accession number: 1968.02.01
Object type: Sign, trade
Date: 1795 – 1810
Description: Wooden sign in frame. Sign is made of two boards attached lengthwise, painted dark blue. The sign has been divided into four quadrants, with a different design in each. In the upper right corner are three yellow fleurs-de-lis. Beneath, in the lower right of the sign, is a red parallelogram broken into four areas. In the upper left are two brown or yellow lions; in the upper right, on a yellow background, is a lion rampant surrounded by hearts; at the bottom a brown horse; in the middle a yellow crown. In the lower left is an anthropomorphic Celtic harp. In the upper left quadrant is a parallelogram divided in half. In the red left half are three yellow lions; in the yellow right half is a red lion rampant. Written across the top of the sign is "British S--------"; across the bottom of the sign is "Jams. Hamilton".
History of Use: James Hamilton was granted a license to keep a ferry on the Clyde River in 1795, at which time he opened his house to travelers. He was granted a tavern license in 1802.